All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs Lucas Malet, Mary St. Leger (Kingsley) Harrison (1852-1931) published seventeen vels and many short stories during a dramatic time of change for women. A daughter of Charles Kingsley, Malet was compared favorably with George Meredith, Henry James, and George Eliot. Praised for her craftsmanship, she shocked readers with daring treatments of seduction and betrayal, illicit love, disability, despair, and gender politics. Malet's work spans the Victorian, fin-de-siecle, Edwardian, and modernist periods and makes contributions to realism, naturalism, aestheticism, Gothic, and modernist experimental writing as well as to gender politics and lesbian studies. Once one of England's most critically acclaimed writers, she counted Henry James and Thomas Hardy among her friends, even influencing their fiction. Although her vels were books of the year in 1891 and 1901 (The Wages of Sin and The History of Sir Richard Calmady), she died in penury. Drawing extensively from unpublished archives, this biography contributes the essential framework for the burgeoning study of Lucas Malet's fiction.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Patricia Lorimer Lundberg is Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies and Executive Director of the Center for Cultural Discovery and Learning at Indiana University Northwest. She received her Ph.D. in English from Loyola University Chicago. Her research interests embrace British literary women whose work has caused controversy in contemporary settings of great cultural change, including Aphra Behn, Charlotte Bronte, and Lucas Malet. Lundberg has published numerous articles on women writers and on feminist dialogics and narratology.
- Author(s)Patricia Lorimer Lundberg
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note12 ill.
- Weight890 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.