All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBarry Laverty, M.B., can barely find the village of Ballybucklebo on a map when he first sets out to seek gainful employment there, but already he kws that there is where he would rather live than in the emerald hills and dales of Northern Ireland. The proud owner of a spanking-new medical degree and little else in the way of worldly possessions, Barry jumps at the chance to secure a position as an assistant in a small rural practice.At least until he meets Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly.The older physician, whose motto is to never let the patients get the upper hand, has his own way of doing things. At first, Barry can't decide if the pugnacious O'Reilly is the biggest charlatan he has ever met, or the best teacher he could ever hope for. Through O'Reilly Barry soon gets to kw all of the village's colorful and endearing residents, including: A malingering Major and his equally hypochondriacal wife;An unwed servant girl, who refuses to divulge the father of her upcoming baby;A slightly daft old couple unable to marry for lack of a roof;And a host of other eccentric characters who make every day an education for the inexperienced young doctor.Ballybucklebo is long way from Belfast, and Barry is quick to discover that he still has a lot to learn about the quirks and traditions of country life. But with pluck and compassion and only the slightest touch of blarney, he will find out more about life and love than he ever imagined back in medical school.Patrick Taylor's An Irish Country Doctor is a charming and engrossing tale that will captivate readers from the very first page and leave them yearning to visit the Irish countryside of days gone by.
- Author BiographyPatrick Taylor, M.D., was born and raised in Bangor County Down in Northern Ireland. After qualifying as a specialist in 1969, Dr. Taylor worked in Canada for thirty-one years. He now divides his time between Canada and Ireland.John Keating's numerous acting credits include Roundabout Theatre's production of Juno and the Paycock and La Mama ETC's production of Cat and the Moon, as well as various parts with the Irish Repertory Theater and the Irish Arts Center. He is a regular performer with the Independent Shakespeare Company and can also be seen in the HBO original mini-series John Adams, starring Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney. John's audiobook narrations have earned Earphone Awards and an Audie nomination. Most notably, he's read Eoin Colfer's Airman, Avi's The Traitors' Gate, and Jenny Nimmo's The Snow Spider. He also lent his voice to many of Patrick Taylor's Irish Country audiobooks.
- Author(s)Patrick Taylor
- PublisherMacMillan Audio
- Date of Publication09/06/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleIrish Country Books
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMacMillan Audio
- Weight272 g
- Width135 mm
- Height146 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Read byJohn Keating
- Contained items statement9 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time660
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $32.65Trending at AU $39.26
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.56
- AU $18.31Trending at AU $19.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.23
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.04
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.35
- AU $30.54Trending at AU $31.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.