All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmbrose Bierce's Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is a short story that is indispensable in any anthology of short stories. Located in the historic event that was the 1860 Civil War between the states of the North and the South, the author paints a feverish landscape where the outer vision is mixed with the subjectivity of the hero Peyton Fahrquhar, dragging and involving the reader into the phantasmal action where Peyton agonistes builds a parallel reality but far more superior and palatable than objective reality. Not only is the story suspenseful, but also well measured in its description of the landscape. Of course a war story has to be violent, yet in the midst of fighting the author manages to convey a message of fidelity, loyalty--and love for wife and family!
- Author BiographyAmbrose Gwinnett Bierce was an American editorialist, journalist, short story writer, fabulist, and satirist. Today, he is probably best known for his short story An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and his satirical lexicon The Devil's Dictionary. His vehemence as a critic, his motto Nothing matters and the sardonic view of human nature that informed his work all earned him the nickname Bitter Bierce. Despite his reputation as a searing critic, Bierce was known to encourage younger writers, including poet George Sterling and fiction writer W. C. Morrow. Bierce employed a distinctive style of writing, especially in his stories. His style often embraces an abrupt beginning, dark imagery, vague references to time, limited descriptions, impossible events and the theme of war. In 1913, Bierce traveled to Mexico to gain first-hand experience of the Mexican Revolution. While traveling with rebel troops, he disappeared without a trace.
- Author(s)Ambrose Bierce
- Date of Publication21/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight41 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.