All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBeer on the Last Frontier is the first book ever written that focuses exclusively on the craft breweries and brewpubs of Alaska. It is an exploration of and guide to the numerous craft breweries of The Great Land and the exceptional beers they are brewing. Volume I covers the breweries of the Kenai Peninsula and Kodiak Island. Volume II covers Anchorage, Fairbanks, and all points in between. Volume III will cover Southeast Alaska. This book is t intended to be a stand-alone guidebook to Alaska. Rather, it should be viewed as a guidebook specifically for the craft beer lover, one which will enable any visitor or tourist who is particularly interested in experiencing craft beer in Alaska to do so most effectively. This volume, Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Everything In Between, covers the eight breweries and four brewpubs located in these two regions of Alaska in detail. Profusely illustrated with b&w photographs and containing interviews with the brewers, it also provides detailed information to aid the visitor to Alaska, such as driving directions, operating hours, as well as beer lists and tasting tes for each of the craft breweries. Besides detailed information on each of the breweries, the book also offers suggestions on bars, restaurants, and liquor stores in the regions which offer good selections of craft beers from the 49th state. Alaska is unique in its climate, its wildlife and the people who live there. Is it any surprise that its beers are unique as well? Beers, wines, meads, distilled spirits: they are all made commercially in Alaska. And t just made, but made well. Alaska's alcoholic beverages are the frequent winners of awards in national and even international competitions. There are 24 commercial breweries in Alaska, three wineries, a meadery, and three distilleries. Not bad for a state with under 800,000 total residents. So if you will be traveling to Alaska and enjoy craft beer, this guidebook is a must!
- Author BiographyBill Howell has been an avid home brewer and lover of craft beer for over twenty years. He was born and reared in New Orleans, Louisiana, and discovered a love of beer at an early age. He attended Tulane University on a Navy ROTC scholarship and upon graduation in 1984 began a career in nuclear submarines. During his career in the US Navy, he discovered homebrewing and American craft beer. In addition, while serving, he had the opportunity to sample the best beers from around the world. His duty stations included a three-year stint in London, which allowed him to visit pubs and breweries all across Britain and Western Europe. After retiring from the Navy in 2004, Bill moved to Alaska and created a beer appreciation course entitled The Art and History of Brewing, which he teaches annually at the University of Alaska. He blogs about the Alaskan craft brewing scene at Drinking on the Last Frontier (www. alaskanbeer.blogspot.com). He also writes a monthly beer column for his local newspaper, The Redoubt Reporter and is the Alaska Correspondent for the Northwest Brewing News magazine. In February 2010, Bill was selected as the Wynkoop Brewing Company's 2010 Beerdrinker of the Year at the annual competition in Denver, Colorado. Elaine Howell is a professional photographer and the owner of Elaine Howell Photography & Design (www. elainehowell.smugmug.com). Elaine and Bill live in Sterling on the Kenai Peninsula along with their three cats.
- Author(s)Bill Howell
- PublisherWilliam Howell
- Date of Publication24/11/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectOther Beverages
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam Howell
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight231 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Photographer(s)Elaine Howell
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Cook Books
- AU $27.23New
- AU $14.76New
- AU $23.87New
Save on Cook Books
- AU $30.42Trending at AU $31.51
- AU $22.16Trending at AU $30.46
- AU $37.74Trending at AU $39.01
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $36.30
- AU $32.29Trending at AU $34.27
- AU $44.33Trending at AU $45.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.