All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUntil recently, the figure of the medieval anchorite and those underlying ideological precepts which framed it have escaped detailed examination, allowing the phemen of anchoritic enclosure to remain on the margins of consciousness within the various disciplines which comprise medieval studies. Those studies which have been undertaken to date have made very little allowance for the ways in which tions of gender have shaped its ideologies and practices. This volume therefore brings together for the first time a collection of essays by some of the leading scholars in the fields of gender and anchoritic studies who examine anchoritic enclosure from a variety of different perspectives.In so doing, Anchorites, Wombs and Tombs offers some illuminating conclusions on how the phemen of anchoritism was affected by and, in turn, actively influenced contemporary tions of gender difference. Ranging from studies of the influence of desert eremiticism upon a variety of expressions of religious enclosure in England to the sexualized spirituality of the high Middle Ages, and the spilling of anchoritic rhetoric into the laity during the fifteenth-century, these essays demonstrate how discourses of anchoritic enclosure were repeatedly utilized to different ends at different periods throughout the Middle Ages and beyond. In so doing, they unpick those physical and metaphorical implications which anchoritic life presented for its adherents and their contemporaries and trace its shifting manifestations from pre-Conquest times up to the Reformation.
- Author BiographyDr Liz Herbert McAvoy is Senior Lecturer in Gender in English Studies at Swansea University. Mari Hughes-Edwards is Senior Lecturer in English at Edge Hill University.
- PublisherUniversity of Wales Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2009
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWales
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUniversity of Wales Press
- Weight386 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byLiz Herbert McAvoy,Mari Hughes-Edwards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.