All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom late fourth century BC Seleucid enclave to capital of the Roman east, Antioch on the Orontes was one of the greatest cities of antiquity and served as a hinge between east and west. This book draws on a century of archaeological fieldwork to offer a new narrative of Antioch's origins and growth, as well as its resilience, civic pride, and ecomic opportunism. Situating the urban nucleus in the context of the rural landscape, this book integrates hitherto divorced cultural basins, including the Amuq Valley and the Massif Calcaire. It also brings into focus the archaeological data, thus proposing a concrete interpretative framework that, grounded in the monuments of Antioch, enables the reader to move beyond text-based reconstructions of the city's history. Finally, it considers the interaction between the environment and the people of the city who shaped this region and forged a distinct identity within the broader Greco-Roman world.
- Author BiographyAndrea U. De Giorgi is an assistant professor in the Department of Classics at Florida State University. De Giorgi is an experienced field archaeologist who has worked on ancient urbanism in Syria, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Cyprus and Turkey, and currently codirects the Cosa Excavations in Italy. He has received various accolades from the Thyssen Foundation, Loeb Foundation, Kress Foundation, DAI, Berliner Antike-Kolleg, and the Whiting Foundation, among others.
- Author(s)Andrea U. De Giorgi
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication03/05/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note57 b/w illus. 15 maps
- Weight710 g
- Width177 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.