All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
About this product
- DescriptionThe ancient Egyptians are an enduring source of fascination - mummies and pyramids, curses and rituals have captured the imagination of generations. We all have a mental picture of ancient Egypt, but is it the right one? How much do we really kw about this great civilization? In this absorbing introduction, Ian Shaw describes how our current ideas about Egypt are based t only on the thrilling discoveries made by early Egyptologists but also on fascinating new kinds of evidence produced by modern scientific and linguistic analyses. He also explores the changing influences on our responses to these finds, through such media as literature, cinema and contemporary art. Each chapter deals with a different aspect of ancient Egypt, from despotic pharaohs to dismembered bodies, and from hieroglyphs to animal-headed gods. ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
- Author BiographyIan Shaw studied Archaeology and Egyptology at Cambridge University from 1979 to 1983. He obtained his PhD (a study of the artefacts at el-Amarna) from Wolfson College, Cambridge University in 1987. From 1986 to 1990 he edited the ancient Egyptian section of the Macmillan Dictionary of Art. From 1990 to 1994, he undertook research into Egyptian quarrying and mining sites as a British Academy Research Fellow at New Hall, Cambridge. From 1995 to 2000 he was a Lecturer in Egyptian Archaeology at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London. He is currently Lecturer in Classics and Oriental Studies at the University of Liverpool.
- Author(s)Ian Shaw
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication22/07/2004
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleVery Short Introductions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notenumerous halftones and line drawings
- Weight174 g
- Width111 mm
- Height174 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.