All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, eminent scholars of classical antiquity and ancient and medieval Judaism and Christianity explore the nature and place of forgiveness in the pre-modern Western world. They discuss whether the concept of forgiveness, as it is often understood today, was absent, or at all events more restricted in scope than has been commonly supposed, and what related ideas (such as clemency or reconciliation) may have taken the place of forgiveness. An introductory chapter reviews the conceptual territory of forgiveness and illuminates the potential breadth of the idea, enumerating the important questions a theory of the subject should explore. The following chapters examine forgiveness in the contexts of classical Greece and Rome; the Hebrew Bible, the Talmud, and Moses Maimonides; and the New Testament, the Church Fathers, and Thomas Aquinas.
- Author BiographyCharles L. Griswold is Borden Parker Bowne Professor of Philosophy at Boston University. Among his books are Forgiveness: A Philosophical Exploration (Cambridge University Press 2007), Adam Smith and the Virtues of Enlightenment (Cambridge University Press 1999), Self-knowledge in Plato's Phaedrus (1986) and an edited volume, Platonic Writings, Platonic Readings (1988). He also serves on the editorial advisory boards of Ancient Philosophy, Theoria and the International Journal of the Classical Tradition. David Konstan is Professor of Classics at New York University and Emeritus Professor of Classics and Comparative Literature at Brown University. His most recent books include Forgiveness: The Origins of a Moral Idea (Cambridge University Press 2010) and 'A Life Worthy of the Gods': The Materialist Psychology of Epicurus (2008). He was president of the American Philological Association in 1999 and serves on the editorial boards of numerous scholarly journals.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication29/12/2011
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight580 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byCharles L. Griswold,David Konstan
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.