All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDedicated to the investigation of fortifications as important and integral elements of ancient built space, the present volume results from the activity of the German based international research network Fokus Fortifikation. Ancient Fortifications in the Eastern Mediterranean and is intended as a guide to research on ancient fortifications and a source of inspiration for new research. Ancient city walls and other fortification structures have long been underestimated. Since the early years of the 21st century, research on ancient fortifications has experienced an international boom, particularly amongst young researchers. They approached the study of fortifications with fresh ideas and new aims, and felt the need to discuss the problems and potentials of these monuments and to develop harmonised research methods and objectives. The outcome is the present bilingual (English and German) book, which offers a condensed view of the network's extended conversations. The goal is t so much to offer an overview on the development of ancient fortifications, but rather to present versatile and diverse approaches to their research and interpretation and to serve as a kick-off for a new understanding of this category of ancient buildings. The book is divided into two parts: the first part includes 12 chapters on methods of interpretation, documentation, and field project organisation; the systematic description and presentation of fortifications; the'building experience'; masonry forms and techniques; defensive, symbolic, and urbanistic functions and aspects; on fortifications in written sources, the visual arts, and as a historical source; and on regional and rural fortifications, and regionally confined phemena. Part two is a catalogue that offers exemplary presentations of fortifications studied by network members; it is arranged in four sections: regions, sites, architectural elements and architectural details. The book is Volume 1 in the new series Fokus Fortifikation Studies. Volume 2 in the series, Focus on Fortification: New Research on Fortifications in the Ancient Mediterranean and the Near East (Oxbow Books), the proceedings of an international conference held in Athens in December 2012, will also appear in 2015.
- Author BiographyDr Silke Muth is a classical archaeologist. She did her PhD at the Free University of Berlin on the topography and town planning of ancient Messene and was as a lecturer there for five years, doing research on doing research on the city walls of Messene and Zeugma. Currently she is working on the symbolic functions of Greek and Roman fortifications as a research fellow at the German Archaeological Institute at Athens with funding from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Further research interests include Greek and Roman urbanism and interdisciplinary approaches between archaeology and ancient history. Mike Schnelle is a Bauforscher specialized in archaeology. Mr Schnelle has got extensive experience as a field archaeologist and is working on a PhD focussed on the Sabaean fortifications of the cities of Sirwah and Marib in Yemen. Since 2012 he is research associate at the Sanaa Branch of the German Archaeological Institute and he is currently involved in several projects of the Branch in Sirwah, Marib and Tan'im in Yemen and Yeha and Hawelti in Ethiopia. Peter D. De Staebler is a classical archaeologist and architectural historian, with field experience in Turkey, Italy, and Greece. He completed his PhD at the Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, on the city wall of Aphrodisiais in Turkey, and was assistant director of the Aphrodisias Regional Survey Project. He has worked as a curator and teacher and presently is Visiting Assistant Professor at the Pratt Institute School of Architecture, in the Programs for Sustainable Planning and Development. Additional research interests include the use of spolia, monolithic columns, the display and interpretation of antiquity.
- PublisherOxbow Books
- Date of Publication22/01/2016
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxbow Books
- Weight1098 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byMike Schnelle,Peter De Staebler,Peter Schneider,Silke Muth
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.05New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.85Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.