Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.74Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionDrawn from a variety of academic disciplines and perspectives, this volume approaches ancient India both historically and geographically. The primary temporal focus lies in India's Early Historic period, from the mid-first millennium BCE through the mid-first millennium CE. The geographic focus is shifted landward rather than seaward and is centered on South Asia rather than the Mediterranean. Contributors examine power and material culture; Mediterranean image making, which looks at Greek and Roman understandings of India; and language and otherness, which explores Indian kwledge and understandings of outsiders. The volume as a whole directs us to the complex webs and networks that throughout Indian history have linked South Asians to each other and to the world beyond the subcontinent. This is a very wide world indeed.
- Author BiographyGrant Parker is Hunt Family Assistant Professor of Classical Studies and History, Duke University. Carla M. Sinopoli is Professor of Anthropology and Curator and Director, Museum of Anthropology, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Michigan, Centre for South and Southeast Asian Studies
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byCarla M. Sinopoli,Grant Parker
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.