All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the Greco-Roman period there arose among the Jews, a new form for retelling Bible stories and for composing new religious stories - the vel. Written around the time of the Dead Sea Scrolls and New Testament , these worldly texts reveal the ambiguities and conflicts encountered by Jews of that period. Some of the texts here are well kwn, while others will be totally new to modern readers. Some are developed vels, while others are rudimentary fragments. Taken together, they constitute a marvellous laboratory for uncovering how popular vels arose in the ancient world, and contribute greatly to our understanding of Jewish culture and classical civilization. In fresh, lively translations by Professor Lawrence M Wills, included are texts from the Jewish apocrypha such as Judith and Tobit, several historical vels and selections from the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs .
- Author(s)Lawrence M. Wills
- PublisherToby Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintToby Press Ltd
- Weight372 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.00Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.