All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe disasters of 9/11 trigger a Cataclysm that is unleashed every so many cycles. It can only be averted by the selfless act of the Elect, a trio of exceptional humans who are guided by Milton, a being kwn as an Elder. The three, all Barbadians, are David Rayside, Marsha Durant and Franck Hurley. And it is their time: to save the world before the deadliest characters of their legends and myths-the baccou, the steel donkey, la djables, and the heart man-destroy it...All their lives, the Elect have had their abilities: David, the power of flight; Marsha, incredible strength; and Franck, super speed. With great power may come great responsibility, yet the choice to act or t remains theirs. Milton, like his adversary, Mackie (short for Machiavelli), is an Elder who can inform, t influence, the course of events. Are the Elect mature eugh to decide what's best for humanity? The longer they take to agree to Milton's plan, which he can't reveal until they are all on board, the more their world is overrun with Caribbean folklore creatures...Set in Bridgetown and Montreal ('where much of the Diaspora live'), And Sometimes They Fly questions tions of the heroic. Where do heroes-a region's but also a culture's heroes-come from? George Woodcock once ted that, unlike Americans or the British, 'Canadians do t like heroes, and so they do t have them.' Humanity is in trouble if this is also true about Barbadians.
- Author BiographyRobert Edison Sandiford is a founding editor of ArtsEtc: The Premier Cultural Guide to Barbados (artsetcbarbados.com) and has worked as a journalist, book publisher, video producer with Warm Water Productions, and teacher. He has won awards for both his writing and editing, including Barbados Governor General's Award of Excellence in Literary Arts and the Harold Hoyte Award, and been shortlisted for the Frank Collymore Literary Award. He still divides his time between Canada and Barbados.
- Author(s)Robert Edison Sandiford
- PublisherDC Books,Canada
- Date of Publication30/05/2016
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Place of PublicationMontreal, QC
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDC Books,Canada
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $57.39
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.21
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $63.70
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.