About this product
- DescriptionThe holidays lie heavy on young Leonard Boameh. His schoolfriends live far away from his home town of Accra, his nana is fun, and his dad - who's great - is away working most of the time. So Leonard decides to run away for a few hours, and when Nana isn't looking he takes the tro-tro bus to Elmina, a historic European fort built to imprison West African slaves shipped off to America. There are lots of rough kids begging there, and before Leonard kws what's happening, he is kidnapped by the meanest gang of all, who plan to use his angel-face to fleece the tourists. Leonard is w a slave, trying to escape from a living nightmare. Bernard Ashley's thought-provoking Ghanaian story, set in the sinister, poverty-driven underworld of gangland, leads to a taut, thrilling climax. This title is also available as an ebook, in either Kindle, ePub or Adobe ebook editions
- Author BiographyBernard Ashley is a former head teacher who is now writing full-time. He lives in South London where he was born. Bernard's impressive list of titles reflects 35 years of writing realistic fiction - from picture books right up to teenage novels. Several of Bernard's books have been successfully televised and he has frequently appeared on prize lists - his Little Soldier was short-listed for the Guardian Prize in 2000. In addition to his other activities Bernard Ashley also advises internationally on matters concerned with literacy. He is also a very popular visitor to schools. To visit Bernard Ashley's website click here
- PrizesLong-listed for Manchester Book Award 2009.
- Author(s)Bernard Ashley
- PublisherFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication14/07/2008
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrances Lincoln Childrens Books
- Weight113 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 8
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.