All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost of the settlements in Anglesey are villages or hamlets, but the island has five towns. Although they are t large, they have a wealth of history and each one has developed in its own unique way. Holyhead, the largest town, has always had a connection with the sea and it became important in particular as a ferry port for crossings to Ireland. It is a busy shopping centre for the western part of Anglesey. Beaumaris, the island's smallest town, can trace its history to the building of the castle by Edward I. It was once a busy port, but in the last 200 years it has developed as a popular holiday resort. Llangefni, which is the administrative centre of the island, is a comparatively new town that has thrived because of its central location and its many businesses and organisations. Amlwch became a town as a result of the discovery of copper on nearby Mynydd Parys. Today it is the main shopping centre for the rth of the island. Menai Bridge was a scattered community kwn for its ferry before Thomas Telford completed the Menai Suspension Bridge in 1826. This signalled its rapid growth, and today Menai Bridge is a thriving small town. Illustrated by both modern and archive photographs, Anglesey Towns & Villages explores the fascinating development of the island's many settlements. Discussing aspects such as education, religion, table figures and places, this is a must for anyone who kws and loves this island.
- Author BiographyGeraint Jones has lived on the island of Anglesey all his life. Since retirement, he has written many books on the history of Anglesey, including 'Anglesey Railways', 'Anglesey Churches' and 'Anglesey at War'.
- Author(s)Geraint Jones,Gwenllian Jones Rowlinson
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication09/07/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note80
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.