Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $165.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor some 40 years, A.G. Rigg has been defining the field of later Anglo-Latin scholarship, a task culminating in his History of Anglo-Latin Literature 1066-1422. 'Anglo-Latin and its Heritage' is a collection of thirteen essays by his colleagues and students, past and present, which pays tribute to him both by exploring the field he has defined, and by making forays into its antecedents and descendants. The first section, Roots and Debts, includes essays on the migration of classical and late antique motifs and patterns of thought into early medieval Latin, and concludes with an essay which shows how a 12th-century writer reached back into that earlier period for stylistic models. The central section of the book, Anglo-Latin Literature 1066-1422, concentrates on Anglo-Latin writers of the period most studied by Rigg himself, and the seven essays in this section include analyses of poetic style and borrowing discussions of patterns of reading and essays which read Anglo-Latin works through their specific historical and cultural contexts. Two of the essays are elegant translations of significant Anglo-Latin poetic works. The final section of the book, Influence and Survival, offers three essays which consider Anglo-Latin literature in the late medieval and post-medieval world, from an edition of a Latin source for a late Middle English saint's life through an account of the migration of Latin texts into the royal libraries of Henry VIII to the concluding essay, which explores a mechanical means of producing perfect Latin hexameter. A complete bibliography of Rigg's works closes the volume. The chrological and methodological range of the essays in this collection is offered as a fitting tribute to one of Anglo-Latin's most learned and indefatigable scholars.
- PublisherBrepols N.V.
- Date of Publication03/05/2002
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationTurnhout
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintBrepols N.V.
- Content Note1 port.
- Weight570 g
- Width160 mm
- Height256 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.45Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.