All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe monk Aelfric Bata is the only identifiable graduate of the school of Aelfric 'Grammaticus', the tenth-century Anglo-Saxon homilist whose 'Grammar, Glossary' and 'Colloquy' formed part of an educational plan for English boys. Bata's 'Colloquies', Latin conversations set in a monastic school, open a door into the world of Anglo-Saxon monasticism, revealing the details of daily activities: rising and dressing, studying the day's lesson, eating, bathing and tonsuring. Oblates ask a master's help in reading, bargain for a manuscript-copying job, obtain help in sharpening a pen. One colloquy depicts a flyting between master and student, who exchange graphic scatological insults. Combining the spare diction of his teacher Aelfric with the ornate glossematic vocabulary of Aldhelm, Aelfric Bata creates a cloistered world where comedy, invective, sermon and poetic recitation mix. The 'Colloquies' are presented with an English translation, glosses and full tes. Dr SCOTT GWARA teaches in the Department of English at the University of South Carolina: Professor DAVID PORTER teaches in the Department of English at Southern University, Baton Rouge.
- Author(s)Aelfric Bata
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication25/09/1997
- LanguageEnglish & Latin.
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationWoodbridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published1997
- ImprintThe Boydell Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight493 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byScott Gwara
- Translated byDavid W. Porter
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.