All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionAngora Matta is a bilingual (Spanish/English) and interdisciplinary work that adopts performative writing to reflect on the transnational politics of culture. Part I is an introduction co-authored by a tango-opera librettist and a central character in her libretto, offering two contending versions of how this book came into being. Part II is the libretto for the tango-opera Angora Matta, a critical view of Argentina's contemporary history conceived as a surreal and tragic thriller. Part III contains feminist scholarly essays written by three other characters who appear in the libretto: Elvira Diaz is a dance ethgrapher disenchanted with her profession; Manuela Malva is a biting foreign-film critic invested in de-mystifying exotic renderings of the Argentine tango world; Angora Matta, the assassin for hire, closes the book with philosophico-poetic preoccupations about her profession. An invative blend of scholarship and art, Angora Matta is both critique of and antidote to the representational practices of ethgraphy that have fetishized other cultures by isolating them from contemporary history and the global flow of international politics.
- Author BiographyMarta Elena Savigliano is the author of Tango and the Political Economy of Passion (1995), which received the Congress of Research on Dance Award for Outstanding Book 1993-1996. She is an anthropologist and political theorist, and Professor in the UCLA Department of World Arts & Culture.
- Author(s)Marta E. Savigliano
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication31/07/2003
- LanguageSpanish & English
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleMusic Culture S.
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Content Note36 illus.
- Weight553 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.