All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'All animals are equal - but some are more equal than others' When the downtrodden animals of Mar Farm overthrow their master Mr Jones and take over the farm themselves, they imagine it is the beginning of a life of freedom and equality. But gradually a cunning, ruthless elite among them, masterminded by the pigs Napoleon and Swball, starts to take control. Soon the other animals discover that they are t all as equal as they thought, and find themselves hopelessly ensnared as one form of tyranny is replaced with ather. 'It is the history of a revolution that went wrong - and of the excellent excuses that were forthcoming at every step for the perversion of the original doctrine,' wrote Orwell for the first edition of Animal Farm in 1945. Orwell wrote the vel at the end of 1943, but it almost remained unpublished; its savage attack on Stalin, at that time Britain's ally, led to the book being refused by publisher after publisher. Orwell's simple, tragic fable has since become a world-famous classic. This Penguin Modern classics edition includes an introduction by Malcolm Bradbury.
- Author BiographyEric Arthur Blair (1903-1950), better known by his pen-name, George Orwell, was born in India, where his father worked for the Civil Service. An author and journalist, Orwell was one of the most prominent and influential figures in twentieth-century literature. His unique political allegory Animal Farm was published in 1945, and it was this novel, together with the dystopia of Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949), which brought him world-wide fame. All his novels and non-fiction, including Burmese Days (1934), Down and Out in Paris and London (1933), The Road to Wigan Pier (1937) and Homage to Catalonia (1938) are published in Penguin Modern Classics.
- Author(s)George Orwell
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication03/01/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight80 g
- Width111 mm
- Height181 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Introduction byMalcolm Bradbury
Most relevant reviews
- 2hu473112 Jan, 2017by
It was the best and loveliest Christmas pesent! Thank you! With kind regardas, Zs.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.45
- AU $92.81Trending at AU $103.66
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.64
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.65
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.12
- AU $41.01Trending at AU $43.46
- AU $28.54Trending at AU $30.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.