Animal Welfare in Animal Agriculture: Husbandry, Stewardship, and Sustainability in Animal Production by Taylor & Francis Inc (Hardback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $118.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $181.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat constitutes animal welfare? With animals being used for companionship, service, research, food, fiber, and by-products, animal welfare is a topic of great interest and importance to society. As the world's population continues to increase, a major challenge for society is the maintenance of a strong and viable food system, which is linked to the well-being and comfort of food animals. Animal Welfare in Animal Agriculture: Husbandry, Stewardship, and Sustainability in Animal Production explores the pressing issue of farm animal welfare in animal production systems in the United States and globally. A framework for open discussion on animal welfare, this multidisciplinary book brings together the perspectives of 40 highly qualified and recognized experts in their respective fields. Fourteen chapters address a range of topics that includes ethics, sociology, food safety, ecology, feed resources, biotechlogy, government regulations, and sustainability, as well as animal comfort, health, and contributions to society. The book also offers a historical perspective on the growth of animal agriculture from family farms to industrial animal agriculture-and the impact this has had on society. Illustrating the diversity of viewpoints, the concept of animal welfare is defined from the perspectives of an ethicist and philosopher, a research scientist, a veterinarian, an industrialist, and an activist, as well as from the perspective of sustainability and product quality. Written primarily for students, but also highly relevant for professionals in varying fields of academia and industry, this timely book reveals important insights into animal welfare and animal agriculture. Unique in its depth, breadth, and balance, it underscores the need for dialogue on wide-ranging and often contentious issues related to animal production systems.
- Author BiographyWilson G. Pond, PhD, is a visiting professor at Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA, and a Fellow of the American Society of Animal Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Society of Nutritional Science. Fuller W. Bazer, PhD, is Regents Fellow, Distinguished Professor, and O.D. Butler Chair in the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University, College Station, USA, and WCU Professor in Biomodulation in the Department of Agricultural Biotechnology at Seoul National University, Republic of Korea. Bernard E. Rollin, PhD, is University Distinguished Professor, Professor of Philosophy, Professor of Animal Science, Professor of Biomedical Sciences, and University Bioethicist at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, USA.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication12/01/2012
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note14 black & white illustrations, 7 colour illustrations, 16 black & white tables, 1 colour tables
- Weight748 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byBernard E. Rollin,Fuller W. Bazer,Wilson G. Pond
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.