All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVery few studies have examined the worldview of the Anishinaabeg from within the culture itself and ne have explored the Anishinaabe worldview in relation to their efforts to maintain their culture in the present-day world. This book fills that gap. Focusing mainly on the Minnesota Anishinaabeg, Lawrence Gross explores how their worldview works to create a holistic way of living. However, as Gross also argues, the Anishinaabeg saw the end of their world early in the 20th century and experienced what he calls 'postapocalypse stress syndrome.' As such, the book further explores how the values engendered by the worldview of the Anishinaabeg are finding expression in the modern world as they seek to rebuild their society.
- Author BiographyDr Lawrence Gross (Anishinaabe) is a member of the Minnesota Chippewa tribe, enrolled on the White Earth reservation. He received his undergraduate degree at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and his Master's degree from Harvard University. He holds a Master's degree and Doctor of Philosophy degree from Stanford University in Religious Studies. Dr Gross's primary research area is Anishinaabe culture and religion, with numerous publications in the field. His article, 'Assisting American Indian Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Cope with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Lessons from Vietnam Veterans and the Writings of Jim Northrup', won the Wordcraft Circle of Native Writers and Storytellers Writer of the Year, Academic Article 2006-2007 award. He has also published on using American Indian pedagogical methods in the university setting. He has been nominated for numerous teaching awards. He currently serves as the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Endowed Chair of Native American Studies at the University of Redlands in Redlands, California.
- Author(s)Lawrence W. Gross
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/07/2014
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleVitality of Indigenous Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight744 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Afe Adogame,Revd Dr Graham Harvey,Ms Ines Talamantez
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.