All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the midst of global recession, angry citizens and media pundits often offer simplistic theories about how bad decisions lead to crises. Many ecomists, however, base their analyses on rational choice theory, which assumes that decisions are made by well-informed, intelligent people who weigh risks, costs, and benefits. Taking a more realistic approach, the field of anthropology carefully looks at the underlying causes of choices at different times and places. Using case studies of choices by farmers, artisans, and bureaucrats drawn from Michael Chibnik's research in Mexico, Peru, Belize, and the United States, Anthropology, Ecomics, and Choice presents a clear-eyed perspective on human actions and their ecomic consequences. Five key issues are explored in-depth: choices between paid and unpaid work; ways people deal with risk and uncertainty; how individuals decide whether to cooperate; the extent to which households can be regarded as decision-making units; and the tragedy of the commons, the theory that social chaos may result from unrestricted access to commonly owned property. Both an accessible primer and an invative exploration of ecomic anthropology, this interdisciplinary work brings fresh insight to a timely topic.
- Author BiographyMichael Chibnik is Professor of Anthropology at the University of Iowa.
- Author(s)Michael Chibnik
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note1 table
- Weight454 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine509 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.