All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNot a textbook in the ordinary sense, this work offers a vision of how anthropology - a discipline that operates through intimate kwledge of local societies - can offer vastly increased understanding of society and culture even in this age of mass communication. In its examination of topics ranging as far afield as the mass media, environmental and development issues, kinship and suffering in transnational settings, the politics of both the nation-state and the local community, the arts, cosmologies of science as well as religion, and the relationship between social life and history, this book is t just about an academic discipline; it is about the theoretical as well as ethical commitments that have enabled anthropologists to play a leading role in the critique of racism and other forms of intolerance.
- Author BiographyMichael Herzfeld is Professor of Anthropology at Harvard University and author of seven books and numerous articles. Past president of the Modern Greek Studies Association, Society for the Anthropology of Europe, and past Editor of American Ethnologist, Herzfeld has been awarded the Staley Prize (1994), the Rivers Memorial Medal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (1994), and several fellowships including one from the J. S. Guggenheim Foundation.
- Author(s)Michael Herzfeld
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication08/12/2000
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight670 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.