Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionAnthropology and sociology have long histories in India. Yet, with the exception of fieldwork experience, there is little research available on the institutional and material contexts of these disciplines or on the practices of pioneering anthropologists and sociologists. Filling this important gap, this book spans a century of life and work, from the late nineteenth to the late twentieth century, and focuses on scholars with varying research trajectories. It shows how local influences and personalities played a major role in shaping the field and it examines their common concern with nation-building, social reform and the value of science.
- Author BiographyPatricia Uberoi is Honorary Director of the Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi and author of Freedom and Destiny: Gender, Family and Popular Culture in India. Nandini Sundar is Professor of Sociology, Delhi University, and co-editor of Contributions to Indian Sociology. Satish Deshpande has taught at the Dept of Anthropology, University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Satish Deshpande
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Content Note12 bw illus.
- Weight876 g
- Width155 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byNandini Sundar,Patricia Uberoi
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.