All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThree violent deaths occur within days among a group of young uveaux-riche beachgoers of Hai but neither the victims r the circumstances are as they seem. Is fate responsible? Or a woman of extreme beauty and mystery?When Danang Publishing House risked bringing out Ho Anh Thai s controversial vel Coi ngu?i rung chuong t?n th? (The Apocalypse Bell Tolls in the Human World) in 2002 after numerous others had refused it, Vietnam was a nation still struggling to find its identity decades after being torn apart by war. Ho Anh Thai s previous stories and vels had already seized the imagination of a young postwar generation. He had become a literary sensation even as a teenager, his fresh, fluid, lumius style capturing the essence of their modern Vietnam. The book was a sensation in its author s home country: to date it has sold more than 50,000 copies in ten printings and has been received enthusiastically by both public and critics as a work of creativity and disturbing truth.Now, as Apocalypse Hotel, Ho Anh Thai s dark fable draws English-language readers into the divided society of 1990s Vietnam, to an underground ecomy in which anything may be bought and sold, youth seek speed, sex, and thrills, and past crimes still haunt the pure and the guilty alike. In this riveting, fast-paced cautionary tale, citizens of all ages and situations must come to grips with the sordid, unforeseen consequences of a war once meant to liberate them.
- Author BiographyBorn in Hanoi in 1960, Ho Anh Thai is one of the most prolific writers in Vietnam. He has published more than twenty novels and short story collections, which have been translated into ten languages.Wayne Karlin, professor of languages and literature at the College of Southern Maryland, has written ten novels and nonfiction books, and edited numerous works about Vietnam.
- Author(s)Ho Thai
- PublisherTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationTexas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byJonathan McIntyre
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.01New
- AU $86.25New
- AU $21.56New
- AU $43.88New
- AU $23.51New
- AU $25.04New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.01
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $86.23
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.16
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.86
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.85
- AU $22.27Trending at AU $22.91
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.