All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionThis newly edited version of John Henry Newman's Apologia Pro Vita Sua sheds new light on Newman's celebrated account of his passage from the Church of England to the Roman Catholic Church and repositions his narrative within the context of transformative religious journeys of other Victorian intellectuals. Frank M. Turner is the first historian of Victorian thought, religion, and culture to edit Newman's classic autobiographical narrative. Drawing on extensive research in contemporary printed materials and archives, Turner's powerfully revisionist Introduction reevaluates and challenges the historical adequacy of previous interpretations of Newman's life and of the Apologia itself. He further presents Newman's volume as a response to ultramontane assertions of papal authority in the l860s. In addition to numerous explanatory textual antations, the volume includes an Appendix featuring six important Anglican sermons that providesignificant insights into Newman's thought during the years recounted in the Apologia.
- Author BiographyFrank M. Turner (1944-2010) was John Hay Whitney Professor of History at Yale University. He was the author of John Henry Newman: The Challenge to Evangelical Relgion.
- Author(s)Cardinal John Henry Newman,Cardinal Newman,John Henry
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication07/03/2008
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight875 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byFrank M. Turner
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.