All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a book about American revivalist religion and the ways in which it impacted British Christianity in nineteenth-century England. The term 'revivalist' seems to have first been used in the period after the 'Second Great Awakening' in the United States. It designated those individuals and churches who sought to manufacture or create revival by human endeavour rather than, as in former times, pray and wait for a sovereign move of God's Spirit. Revivalism had a number of marked features which are charted in detail in chapter 1. It was inevitably characterised by emotion, excitement and religious exercises. Particular attention has been given to ways in which the different American revivalists understood revival and the methods by which they sought to achieve it. The book also includes a focus on some often overlooked female revivalists. Nigel Scotland is a church historian who has paid particular attention to Evangelicalism in nineteenth-century England. His many publications include Evangelical Anglicans in a Revolutionary Age (2004), Good and Proper Men: Lord Palmerston and the Bench of Bishops (2000) and John Bird Sumner Evangelical Archbishop (1995). He was Field Chair and Principal Lecturer at the University of Gloucestershire until 2007. He has been a Tutor at Trinity College, Bristol, since 2006 and in 2008 was made an Horary Research Fellow at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Author BiographyNIGEL SCOTLAND is field chair in Religious Studies and lecturer in 19th Century Religious History at the University of Gloucestershire. He is also the author of Sectarian Religion in Contemporary Britain.
- Author(s)Nigel Scotland
- PublisherAuthentic Media
- Date of Publication04/09/2009
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationCarlisle
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAuthentic Media
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight350 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $69.17
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.10
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.39
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $22.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.