All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionThe Appalachian dulcimer is one of America's major contributions to world music and folk art. Homemade and handmade, played by people with formal kwledge of music, this beautiful instrument arrived in the light of the 20th century with virtually written record. Appalachian Dulcimer Traditions is a first-hand report to enlarge our kwledge of the dulcimer's history by searching the hills and hollers of Appalachia, looking at old instruments, and listening to the tales of old folks. After reviewing the instrument's special musical features, the book describes some related instruments, and reveals little-kwn facts about the dulcimer's origins on the early Appalachian frontier. The book then describes three major design traditions of the dulcimer, each centered in its own geographical area, and focuses on important makers in each of the three traditions-the Melton family of Galax, Virginia, Charles M. Prichard of Huntington, West Virginia, and Uncle Ed Thomas of Kentucky. A final chapter describes four Appalachian makers of the folk revival transition, who began making instruments the old-time way and modernized them to meet the needs of Post-World-War-II urban players. The book concludes with listings of dulcimer recordings in the Archive of Folk Culture of the Library of Congress.
- Author BiographyRalph Lee Smith is a leading authority on the history of the Appalachian dulcimer and is a performer of traditional American folk music.
- Author(s)Ralph Lee Smith
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication28/01/1997
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleAmerican Folk Music and Musicians Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 2
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Note48 illustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight272 g
- Width143 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.