All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe papers in this volume, selected through peer-review from the presentations at the 2002 annual conference of the British Association for Applied Linguistics in Cardiff, demonstrate the strides applied linguists have taken, in 'pure' or 'impure' form, since the classic volume of Corder's Introducing Applied Linguistics speculated about the discipline's possible frontiers. Foundational questions of the following kind form the backbone of the volume: 'Is applied linguistics applied eugh?'; 'Can applied linguists go where linguists have been before?'; 'Do applied linguists belong to one community of practice or do they constitute a community of communities?'; 'On a cost-benefit scale, how can applied linguists gain communality across interdisciplinary initiatives while t losing their disciplinary automy?'. With a judicious combination of empirical, theoretical and policy-oriented studies, the volume takes a close, hard look at the present and future challenges. This is summed up in a call to arms for applied linguistics to become more practically relevant and reflexively grounded t only in addressing real world problems, but also in doing so collaboratively in a sustained way with practitioners involved. Srikant Sarangi is Director of the Communication Research Centre, Centre for Language and Communication at Cardiff University. Theo van Leeuwen is based at the Centre for Language and Communication, Cardiff University.
- Author(s)Sarangi & Van Leeuwen
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/08/2003
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.