All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionApplied Theatre: Aesthetics re-examines how the idea of 'the aesthetic' is relevant to performance in social settings. The disinterestedness that traditional aesthetics claims as a key characteristic of art makes little sense when making performances with ordinary people, rooted in their lives and communities, and with personal and social change as its aim. Yet practitioners of applied arts kw that their work is t reducible to social work, therapy or education. Reconciling the simultaneous automy and heteromy of art is the problem of aesthetics in applied arts. Gareth White's introductory essay reviews the field, and proposes an interdisciplinary approach that builds on new developments in evolutionary, cognitive and neuro-aesthetics alongside the politics of art. It addresses the complexities of art and the aesthetic as everyday behaviours and responses. The second part of the book is made up of essays from leading experts and new voices in the practice and theory of applied performance, reflecting on the key problematics of applying performance with n-performers. New and invative practice is described and interrogated, and fresh thinking is introduced in response to perennial problems.
- Author BiographyGareth White lectures in applied theatre and community performance at Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London, UK. He is also a director, performer and facilitator, with a particular interest in processes and theories of participation and collaborative processes.
- Author(s)Gareth White
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication26/02/2015
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleApplied Theatre
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note7 bw illus
- Weight547 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Sheila Preston,Prof. Michael Balfour
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.