All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAppraisal and Acquisition: Invative Practices for Archives and Special Collections explores how archivists and special collections librarians in organizations of different sizes and types have approached the challenges of collection, as well as exploring opportunities to acquire new kinds of materials and conduct thoughtful reappraisal. The case studies featured are: 1. No Fame Required : Collaboration, Community, and the Georgia LGBTQ Archives Project 2.Placed Out: Providing a Home for the Records of the Children's Aid Society and the Orphan Trains 3. I Really Can't Wait to Archive this Exchange : Exploring Processing as Appraisal in the Tim Kaine Email Project 4.Hardware for SoftPoems: Appraisal and Acquisition of Vintage Computer Equipment 5.From Projects to Policy: The Evolution of a Systematic Reappraisal Program 6.Terabytes from Far-Off Lands: Acquiring Records of the Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program 7.So Much to Do, So Little Time: Prioritizing To Acquire Significant University Records 8.The Studio Theatre Archives: Staging an Embedded Appraisal 9.Making the Bulb Want to Change: Implementing an Active Electronic Records Appraisal and Acquisition Program 10. Weaving the Web of Influence: Maximizing Archival Appraisal and Acquisition through the Use of Spider Advocates 11.Reappraisal and Deaccessioning: Building for the Future by Removing Some of the Past 12.Tap into History: The Birth of the Oregon Hops and Brewing Archives These case studies show a range of strategies and processes, but all were selected because they demonstrate ideas that could be transferred into many other settings. They can serve as models, sources of inspiration, or starting points for new discussions. This volume will be useful to those working in archives and special collections as well as other cultural heritage organizations, and provides ideas ranging from those that require long-term planning and coordination to ones that could be more quickly implemented. The chapters also provide students and educators in archives, library, and public history graduate programs a resource for understanding the varieties of issues related to appraisal and acquisition and how they can be addressed.
- Author BiographyKate Theimer is the author of the popular blog ArchivesNext and a frequent writer, speaker and commentator on issues related to the future of archives. She is the editor of the Rowman & Littlefield series, Innovative Practices for Archives & Special Collections, in which volumes on management, description, outreach, and reference and access were published in 2014. She is also the author of Web 2.0 Tools and Strategies for Archives and Local History Collections and the editor of A Different Kind of Web: New Connections between Archives and Our Users, as well having contributed chapters to Many Happy Returns: Advocacy for Archives and Archivists, The Future of Archives and Recordkeeping, and the Encyclopedia of Archival Science. She has published articles in the American Archivist and the Journal of Digital Humanities. Kate served on the Council of the Society of American Archivists from 2010 to 2013. Before starting her career as an independent writer and editor, she worked in the policy division of the National Archives and Records Administration in College Park, Maryland. She holds an MSI with a specialization in archives and records management from the University of Michigan and an MA in art history from the University of Maryland.
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication16/04/2015
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleInnovative Practices for Archives and Special Collections
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight444 g
- Width158 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byKate Theimer
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.