All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew themes have been as central to sociology as 'class' and yet class remains a perpetually contested idea. Sociologists disagree t only on how best to define the concept of class but on its general role in social theory and indeed on its continued relevance to the sociological analysis of contemporary society. Some people believe that classes have largely dissolved in contemporary societies; others believe class remains one of the fundamental forms of social inequality and social power. Some see class as a narrow ecomic phemen whilst others adopt an expansive conception that includes cultural dimensions as well as ecomic conditions. This 2005 book explores the theoretical foundations of six major perspectives of class with each chapter written by an expert in the field. It concludes with a conceptual map of these alternative approaches by posing the question: 'If class is the answer, what is the question?'
- Author BiographyErik Olin Wright is Vilas Distinguished Professor at the Department of Sociology, University of Wisconsin. His recent books include Deepening Democracy: Institutional Innovations in Empowered Participatory Governance (2003), Class Counts: Student Edition (Cambridge University Press, 2000) and Class Counts: Comparative Studies in Class Analysis (Cambridge University Press, 1997).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication11/08/2005
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 tables
- Weight310 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byErik Olin Wright
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.