All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChaucer's Canterbury Tales was the subject of the first volume in the Approaches to Teaching series, published in 1980. But in the past thirty years, Chaucer scholarship has evolved dramatically, teaching styles have changed, and new techlogies have created extraordinary opportunities for studying Chaucer. This second edition of Approaches to Teaching Chaucer's Canterbury Tales reflects the wide variety of contexts in which students encounter the poem and the diversity of perspectives and methods instructors bring to it. Perennial topics such as class, medieval marriage, genre, and tale order rub shoulders with considerations of violence, postcoloniality, masculinities, race, and food in the tales. The first section, Materials, reviews available editions, scholarship, and audiovisual and electronic resources for studying The Canterbury Tales. In the second section, Approaches, thirty-six essays discuss strategies for teaching Chaucer's language, for introducing theory in the classroom, for focusing on individual tales, and for using digital resources in the classroom. The multiplicity of approaches reflects the richness of Chaucer's work and the continuing excitement of each new generation's encounter with it.
- Author BiographyFrank Grady is Professor of English at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, USA where he teaches medieval literature, literary theory, and film. He has published essays on both late medieval English literature and contemporary American popular culture, and he is currently editor of the annual of the New Chaucer Society, Studies in the Age of Chaucer.
- PublisherModern Language Association of America
- Date of Publication30/06/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleApproaches to Teaching World Literature
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintModern Language Association of America
- Weight358 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byFrank Grady,Peter W. Travis
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.