All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIdioms represent a fascinating linguistic phemen that has captured the attention of many linguists for decades. This corpus-based study of idioms in Modern Standard Arabic sheds light on their intricate nature, establishes the major patterns of their linguistic behaviour, and provides explanations for these patterns. Adopting a descriptive framework, the study addresses two main issues with regard to the discursive behaviour of idioms: the discursive functions that they perform and the ways in which they contribute to the cohesion of their texts. Examining primary data with regard to the semantic, discursive, lexical and grammatical properties of Arabic idioms, the author touches on the ubiquity of these expressions in language use, the wide range of functions they perform in discourse, the problems they often cause in domains such as foreign language learning and translation, and their typical divergence from the rmal rules of grammar and semantic compositionality. Providing explanations for major linguistic phemena, this analysis will be accessible to linguists, translators, lexicographers, translation software developers, and language teachers as well as learners.
- Author BiographyAshraf Abdou is Adjunct Assistant Professor of Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language at the American University in Cairo and Lecturer of Linguistics at Cairo University. His research focuses on Arabic phraseology, Arabic corpus linguistics, spoken discourse analysis, Arabic lexicography and English-Arabic contrastive phraseology.
- Author(s)Ashraf Abdou
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/07/2011
- Series TitleRoutledge Arabic Linguistics Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note20 black & white tables
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.