All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe final volume of The Cambridge History of Arabic Literature explores the Arabic literary heritage of the little-kwn period from the twelfth to the beginning of the nineteenth century. Even though it was during this time that the famous Thousand and One Nights was composed, very little has been written on the literature of the period generally. In this volume Roger Allen and Donald Richards bring together some of the most distinguished scholars in the field to rectify the situation. The volume is divided into parts with the traditions of poetry and prose covered separately within both their 'elite' and 'popular' contexts. The last two sections are devoted to drama and the indigeus tradition of literary criticism. As the only work of its kind in English covering the post-classical period, this book promises to be a unique resource for students and scholars of Arabic literature for many years to come.
- Author BiographyRoger Allen is Professor of Arabic and Comparative Literature at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, USA. He is the author of The Arabic Novel (1982, 1995) and The Arabic Literary Heritage (1998). He currently serves in an editorial capacity for the journal, Middle Eastern Literatures and the Arabic Literature Series of the Dictionary of Literary Biography. D. S. Richards is Emeritus Fellow of St Cross College, Oxford, and University Lecturer in Arabic (retired). He is the joint author of Mamluk Jerusalem (1987), translator of Ibn Shaddad's Life of Saladin (2001) and The Annals of the Turks (RoutledgeCurzon, 2002) and author of articles on mediaeval Islamic history for various scholarly journals.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication13/04/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleThe Cambridge History of Arabic Literature
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight832 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byD. S. Richards,Roger Allen
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.07Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.