All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionAncient market activities are dynamic in the ecomies of most ancient states, yet they have received little research from the archaeological community. Archaeological Approaches to Market Exchange in Ancient Societies is the first book to address the development, change, and organizational complexity of ancient markets from a comparative archaeological perspective. Drawing from historical documents and archaeological records from Mesoamerica, the U.S. Southwest, East Africa, and the Andes, this volume reveals the complexity of ancient marketplace development and ecomic behavior both in hierarchical and n-hierarchical societies. Highlighting four principal themes-the defining characteristics of market exchange; the recognition of market exchange archaeologically; the relationship among market, political, and other social institutions; and the conditions in which market systems develop and change-the book contains a strong methodological and theoretical focus on market exchange. Diverse contributions from ted scholars show the history of market exchange and other activities to be more dynamic than scholars previously appreciated. Archaeological Approaches to Market Exchange in Ancient Societies will be of interest to archaeologists, anthropologists, material-culture theorists, ecomists, and historians.
- Author BiographyChristopher P. Garraty is a senior ceramic analyst at Statistical Research, Inc. Barbara L. Stark is a professor of anthropology at the School of Human Evolution and Social Change at Arizona State University.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Colorado
- Date of Publication15/04/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationColorado
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Colorado
- Weight563 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byBarbara L. Stark,Christopher P. Garraty
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.