All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArchaeology has always been marked by its particular care, obligation, and loyalty to things. While archaeologists may t share similar perspectives or practices, they find common ground in their concern for objects monumental and mundane. This book considers the myriad ways that archaeologists engage with things in order to craft stories, both big and small, concerning our relations with materials and the nature of the past. Literally the science of old things , archaeology does t discover the past as it was but must work with what remains. Such work involves the tangible mediation of past and present, of people and their cultural fabric, for things cant be separated from society. Things are us. This book does t set forth a sweeping new theory. It does t seek to transform the discipline of archaeology. Rather, it aims to understand precisely what archaeologists do and to urge practitioners toward a renewed focus on and care for things.
- Author BiographyBjornar Olsen, Professor at the Institute of Archaeology at the University of Tromso. Michael Shanks is Omar and Althea Hoskins Professor of Classics at Stanford. Timothy Webmoor is Research Fellow in Science and Technology Studies at the Institute for Science, Innovation and Society at the University of Oxford. Christopher Witmore is Associate Professor with the Department of Classical & Modern Languages & Literatures at Texas Tech University.
- Author(s)Bjornar Olsen,Christopher Witmore,Michael Shanks,Timothy Webmoor
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2012
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note25 b/w photographs, 2 line illustrations
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.