All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is remarkable how often we consider certain constructs in other peoples worldview to be -myths-, while in our own case we regard equally arbitrary assumptions as inherent to the nature of things. As every anthropologist kws, one s most cherished cultural assumptions tend to remain implicit; in other words, worldview is largely unconscious. This book explores the possibility of plumbing obscure aspects of one s own culture in order to assess what some might call (regarding other cultures) the mythic underpinnings of worldview. Seven explorations in folklore and ethgraphy exhume a conceptual heritage that still influences perception, albeit in unconscious ways. This archeology of intangible heritage provides the sort of break in intellectual routine that allows us to look anew at familiar things.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Francisco Vaz da Silva teaches anthropology and folklore at Instituto Superior das Ciencias do Trabalho e da Empresa in Lisbon, where he also received his Ph.D. He has published papers on symbolic folklore and wondertales in professional journals in Europe and America. His publications include Metamorphosis: The Dynamics of Symbolism in European Fairy Tales (Peter Lang, 2002), and a forthcoming seven-volume Library of European Fairy Tales (in Portuguese).
- Author(s)Francisco Vaz da Silva
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleInternational Folkloristics
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight290 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.