Architects of Annihilation: Auschwitz and the Logic of Destruction by Susanne Heim, Gotz Aly (Hardback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $93.39Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $38.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo of Germany's most provocative investigative historians examine the frightening role of young educated careerists in building the Holocaust's ideological and material infrastructure. Moving from the waning Weimar Republic to Auschwitz's fully operating gas chambers, Architects of Annihilation shows how the unthinkable techcratic solutions to Germany's wartime problems were t only thought but spelled out and implemented. Documenting the eager participation of some of the country's best and brightest, it rejects interpretations that identify only Nazi leaders as the perpetrators of the Holocaust. For Hitler's thinkers--career-minded demographers, geographers, ecomists, civil servants, and academics in the Third Reich's think tanks and bureaucratic offices--Europe was a drawing board on which to work out their grand designs. They were encouraged to rationalize production methods, standardize products, introduce an international division of labor, and modernize and simplify social structures. Ultimately, their work on everything from food shortages to birth control led to the sinister plan to adjust the ratio between productive or unproductive population groups. The ideas of these ever more radical and ideologically aggressive techcrats culminated in proposals that--using carefully guarded scientific and academic euphemisms--advocated state-directed mass extermination as a necessary and logical component of social modernization. And, t well kwn outside of Germany, these thinkers proposed t only one final solution but serial gecides, planned in detail to be carried out over several decades. This groundbreaking and controversial account of Hitler's planners received widespread attention when it appeared in Germany. Now a masterful translation makes it available to an English-speaking audience for the first time.
- Author BiographyGotz Aly is a Fellow at the Hamburg Institute for Social Research. His books include Final Solution and Cleansing the Fatherland . Susanne Heim is an investigative journalist and historian based in Berlin.
- Author(s)Gotz Aly,Susanne Heim
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication25/02/2003
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note20 line illus.
- Weight685 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Translated byA. G. Blunden
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.