All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRooted in the British apprenticeship system, the French Beaux-Arts, and the German polytechnical schools, architecture education in North America has had a unique history spanning almost three hundred years. Although architects in the United States and Canada began to identify themselves as professionals by the late eighteenth century, it was t until nearly a century later that North American universities began to offer formal architectural training; the first program was established at MIT in 1865. Today most architects receive their training within an academic setting that draws on the humanities, fine arts, applied science, and public service for its philosophy and methodology. This book, published in conjunction with the centennial of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA), provides the first comprehensive history of North American architecture education. Architecture School opens with six chrological essays, each devoted to a major period of development: before 1860; 1860--1920; 1920--1940; 1940--1968; 1968--1990; and 1990 to the present. This overview is followed by a lexicon containing shorter articles on more than two dozen topics that have figured centrally in archictecture education's history, from competitions and design pedagogy to research, structures, studio culture, and travel.
- Author BiographyJoan Ockman is an architecture educator, historian, writer, and editor. Among the books she has edited are Architecture Culture 1943--1968, The Pragmatist Imagination, and Out of Ground Zero. Rebecca Williamson is Assistant Professor of Architecture at the University of Cincinnati.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication09/03/2012
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note150 images, mostly color, exact number TK
- Weight1520 g
- Width190 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byJoan Ockman
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.64Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.