Archives of Instruction: Nineteenth-century Rhetorics, Readers, and Composition Books in the United States by Lucille M. Schultz, Stephen L. Carr, Jean Ferguson Carr (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $74.51Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $51.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBoth a historical recovery and a critical rethinking of the functions and practices of textbooks, Archives of Instruction: Nineteenth-Century Rhetorics, Readers, and Composition Books in the United States argues for an alternative understanding of our rhetorical traditions. The authors describe how the pervasive influence of nineteenth-century literacy textbooks demonstrate the early emergence of substantive instruction in reading and writing. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, few people in the United States had access to significant school education or to the materials of instruction. By century's end, education was a mass - though t universal - experience, and literacy textbooks were ubiquitous artifacts, used both in home and in school by a growing number of learners from diverse backgrounds. Archives of Instruction suggests strategies for re-reading the texts and details the watersheds in the genre, providing a new perspective on the material conditions of schooling, book publication, and emerging practices of literacy instruction. The volume includes a substantial bibliography of works related to literacy instruction at all levels of education in the United States during the nineteenth century.
- Author BiographyJean Ferguson Carr, an associate professor of English and women's studies at the University of Pittsburgh, is the coeditor of the Pittsburgh Series in Composition, Literacy, and Culture. Stephen L. Carr is an associate professor of English at the University of Pittsburgh. Lucille M. Schultz is a professor of English at the University of Cincinnati. She is the author of The Young Composers: Composition's Beginnings in Nineteenth-Century Schools, winner of the 2000 Nancy Dasher Award from the College English Association of Ohio.
- Author(s)Jean Ferguson Carr,Lucille M. Schultz,Stephen L. Carr
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2005
- Series TitleStudies in Writing and Rhetoric
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Content Note6 illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.