All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe DfE's 2010 white paper 'The Importance of Teaching' set out the Coalition's aim to 'create a school system which is self-improving'. In this inaugural lecture, Toby Greany assesses progress to date and the Coalition Government's approach to developing a self-improving system. He argues that the Coalition is following at least four different reform approaches at the same time: the world class/ excuses approach, the freedom-to-teach approach, the market-based approach and the system-leadership approach. These differing approaches compete with each other, creating confusion at best and unresolvable tensions at worst, most obviously through an over-reliance on punitive accountability. The first three approaches do t reflect international evidence and practice in terms of effective system reform and school improvement, and do t appear to meet the Government's own criteria for a self-improving system. The system-leadership approach appears to have more promise, but Greany makes a series of recommendations for how it could be enhanced. He concludes that if the self-improving system becomes more than a narrative device to justify the removal of central and local government support, then a two-tier system will rapidly emerge in which some schools thrive, but large swathes are left behind.
- Author BiographyToby Greany is Professor of Leadership and Innovation in the London Centre for Leadership in Learning at the Institute of Education, University of London.
- Author(s)Toby Greany
- PublisherInstitute of Education Press
- Date of Publication18/03/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleInaugural Professorial Lectures
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintInstitute of Education Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsSaddle-sewn
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.98Trending at AU $78.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.