All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn This timely and reflective anthology, the generation that sought to stay forever young reveals that midlife should mean more than jokes about thinning hair, creaking joints, and thickening waistlines. Midlife's insights - whether they be physical, spiritual, or emotional - are indeed startling, and who better than poets to deliver them? The nearly one hundred poets, both men and women, emerging and established, in this anthology move beyond the standard complaints of middle age to more resounding themes that define an entire generation: social, political, and environmental concerns, domestic partnerships and blended families, crises and affirmations of faith. Some poets, like Ann Hostetler in Priestess of Love, revisit their youthful desires, while others, such as Jim Daniels in Blessing the House, summon memories of old houses and neighborhoods. The Great Boomer Sellout is ackwledged in poems like Martin Espada's ironic take on an upscale restaurant and Marcia Southwick's melancholy assessment of the news. And poets like Lisa Lewis, Holly Iglesias, and Tony Hoagland appraise the next generation with ironic humor. Each poet seeks an answer to the ambiguous, electric, and open-ended question that has haunted the Baby Boom generation: Are you experienced? And each poet answers emphatically: Yes, Yes, Yes.
- Author BiographyPamela Gemin is the author of Vendettas, Charms, and Prayers and co-editor of Boomer Girls: Poems by Women from the Baby Boom Generation (IOWA 1999). A graduate of Vermont College's MFA in Writing Program, she is an assistant professor of creative writing at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication31/05/2003
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byPamela Gemin
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.