All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy the author of the acclaimed The Rise and Fall of the British Empire comes a grand tour of the lives and impact of this truly remarkable breed. (The Washington Times) Aristocracy means rule by the best. For nine hundred years, the British aristocracy has considered itself ideally qualified to rule others, make laws, and guide the fortunes of the nation. Tracing the history of this remarkable supremacy, Aristocrats is a story of civil wars, conquests, intrigue, chicanery, and extremes of both selflessness and greed. Lawrence James also illuminates how the aristocracy's infatuation with classical art has forged English heritage, how its love of sport has shaped its pastimes and values, and how its scandals have entertained the public.Impeccably researched, balanced, and brilliantly entertaining, Aristocrats is an enthralling history of power, influence, and an extraordinary knack for survival.
- Author BiographyLawrence James was born in Bath, England, and was educated at York University and Merton College, Oxford. After a distinguished teaching career he emerged as one of the outstanding narrative historians of this generation. He lives in St. Andrews, Scotland.
- Author(s)Lawrence James
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white plates, colour plates
- Weight544 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.