All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOf the 1995 full-length edition:'Aristophanes addicts unite! This book is for us. It has everything that we always wanted to kw about Birds and we were unable to find in one place.' Greek Gazette 'The commentary elucidates with an experts kwledge of syntax, meter, and artifacts...The volume will remain authoritative for generations.' Religious Studies Review Birds is generally recognized as one of Aristophanes' masterpieces, for its imaginative plot (it is the source of the word 'Cloudcuckooland'), and its charming and original lyrics. This is an abridgement of Nan Dunbar's widely acclaimed edition of Birds published in 1995, which was the first comprehensive edition in any language. The abridged version retains all the material designed to help the less advanced student of Greek or the n-specialist to translate, understand, and enjoy the play. It retains the tes on staging, but the metrical, textual, and ornithological problems are dealt with more summarily, and purely illustrative parallels are omitted. The Introduction covers more concisely the same ground as that of the full-length edition, but omits the detailed discussions of the individual manuscripts and their interrelations. Text with facing translation, commentary and tes.
- Author BiographyAlan H Sommerstein is Professor of Greek and Director of the Centre for Ancient Drama and its Reception, University of Nottingham; editor of the Aristophanes volumes in the Aris PHIllips Classical Texts series and of Aeschylus Eumenides (Cambridge, 1989); author of Aeschylean Tragedy (Bari, 1996) and of Greek Drama and Dramatists (London, 2002); co-editor of Tragedy, Comedy and the Polis (Bari, 1993), Shards from Kolonos: Studies in Sophoclean Fragments (Bari, forthcoming) and several other multi-author volumes. He is coordinating a collaborative edition of selected fragmentary plays of Sophocles for this series.
- Author(s)Alan H. Sommerstein
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication31/05/1987
- LanguageGreek, ancient (to 1453)
- Series TitleAris & Phillips Classical Texts
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAris & Phillips Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight435 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.