All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAristotle's Prior Analytics marks the beginning of formal logic. For Aristotle himself, this meant the discovery of a general theory of valid deductive argument, a project that he had described as either impossible or impracticable, probably t very long before he actually came up with syllogistic reasoning. A syllogism is the inferring of one proposition from two others of a particular form, and it is the subject of the Prior Analytics. The first book, to which this volume is devoted, offers a fairly coherent presentation of Aristotle's logic as a general theory of deductive argument.
- Author BiographyGisela Striker is a professor of philosophy and classics at Harvard University. She received her doctoral degree in 1969 from the University of Gottingen, where she taught philosophy until 1986. She moved to the US in 1986, teaching at Columbia University in New York until 1989. In 1989 she moved to Harvard University. From 1997 t0 2000 she was Laurence Professor of Ancient Philosophy at Cambridge University (UK). In 2000, she returned to Harvard, where she now teaches ancient philosophy in both the philosophy and the classics department.
- Author(s)Gisela Striker
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication21/05/2009
- Series TitleClarendon Aristotle Series
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight364 g
- Width138 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.