All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArmed Ambiguity interrogates tropes of the woman warrior constructed by print culture-including press reports, vels, dramatic works, and lyrical texts-during the decades-long conflict in Europe around 1800. Julie Koser sheds new light on how women's bodies became a semiotic battleground for competing social, cultural, and political agendas in one of the most critical periods of modern history. Reading the women warriors in this book as barometers of the social and political climate in German?speaking territories, Koser reveals how literary texts and cultural artifacts foregrounding women's armed insurrection perpetuated or contested the discursive construction and illusionary dichotomization of public versus private spheres along a gendered fault line. Koser illuminates how reactionary visions of ideal femininity competed with subversive fantasies of new femininities in the ideological battle being waged over the restructuring of German society.
- Author BiographyJulie Koser is an assistant professor in the Department of Germanic Studies at the University of Maryland, USA.
- Author(s)Julie Koser
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.34
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.