All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat challenges will America face in armed conflicts of the future and how will we prepare for them? National security depends upon the ability of the military to predict the future nature of war. Despite the difficulty in making such predictions, one must remember: nation states and other countries will continue to use armed conflict as a means to further their aims, and these aims will, at times, run contrary to American interests. As a result, the United States will continue to be confronted with armed conflict in the days and years ahead. A military theorist and experienced armor officer, Brian Steed provides insights into the future of armed conflict by focusing on what has occurred in the past-t because the past repeats itself, but because it reveals timeless principles of warfare. Five battles, one each in Korea, Vietnam, the Falklands, the Persian Gulf, and Somalia are analyzed historically, geographically, and strategically. Steed's analysis of these engagements clearly demonstrates that the key to victory on the battlefields of the future is the small unit. In refreshing layman's prose, the author focuses on why the events occurred as they did, and explores the significance of each battle in terms of its political and military ramifications. He concludes with lessons learned that will greatly benefit future American ground combat commanders. Armed Conflict informs the reader about the historical trends of combat operations and the realities of war-today and into the future. It will also serve to guide a new generation of military and civilian leaders as they prepare to face the inevitable conflicts in the new century.
- Author BiographyU.S. Army officer Brian Steed holds a master's degree in international relations from Vermont College of Norwich University. Armed Conflict is his first book. Captain Steed's previous assignments include duty with the OPFOR at the National Training Center. He is currently stationed at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
- Author(s)Brian Steed
- PublisherPresidio Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2003
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPresidio Press
- Content Note10 illustrations, 10 maps
- Weight343 g
- Width209 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.