Arms Race Theory: Strategy and Structure of Behavior by Craig Carlyle Etcheson (Hardback, 1989)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $112.86Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $31.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor most of the twentieth century, social scientists have attempted to understand the causes of military competition. From this struggle has evolved the Richardson Tradition of Arms Race Analysis, a distinct body of scientific literature that uses a variety of mathematical techniques and theoretical ideas to solve the puzzle of what drives military interaction among nations. Etcheson explores this intellectual journey and projects the paths along which the Richardson Tradition must go if it is to obtain its objective: understanding and control of potentially unnecessary organized social violence. Arms Race Theory examines thoroughly the literature of the Richardson Tradition, from the writings of Lewis Fry Richardson through the most recent attempts of his students to resolve the fundamental questions about interaction in arms races. Etcheson documents the application of the procedures of positive physical science to social problems and identifies the reasons why Richardson and his students have been frustrated in their efforts. According to the author, students of the Richardson Tradition adhere to an atomistic and reductionist perspective that denies the relevance of human values and intentions. He focuses on the idea of strategy as a gateway to an understanding of the social causes of arms accumulation. Etcheson prepares the way for a new phase in the Richardson Tradition by identifying new theoretical foci and methodological techniques. His analysis, coupled with the most comprehensive bibliography of the literature of the Richardson Tradition currently available, is a significant contribution to the growing body of scholarship in peace research and international relations theory.
- Author BiographyCRAIG ETCHESON a Visiting Scholar with the Foreign Policy Institute at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies, where he is researching transitional justice, state failure and reconciliation.
- Author(s)Craig Carlyle Etcheson
- Date of Publication12/07/1989
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleContributions in Military Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 87
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight548 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.47New
- AU $7.52Used
- AU $23.00New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.