All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionWritten in 1864 and set during the Irish rebellion of 1798, Arrah na Pogue is is an entertaining tale of romance and misadventure with rascally rebels, despicable villains and love struck youths. As night falls on the Wicklow mountains, the popular but incorrigible rebel Beamish MacCaul is lying in wait. He's out to ambush the cowardly rent-collector Michael Feeny and relieve him of a 'big lump of money.' That done, he's off to marry Fanny Power. Down in the valley, love is in the air for Shaun the Post and our heroine Arrah Meelish too. But Arrah has a secret. And Michael Feeny's found out. As Shaun and Arrah celebrate their wedding, revenge comes a-calling. Love must conquer all - including the hangman's ose. The play is full of Boucicault's trademark comic roguery, farce and melodrama, which has influenced Irish playwrights including Synge, O'Casey, Shaw and McDonagh. This edition features an introduction by leading Boucicault scholar Dr Scott Boltwood.
- Author BiographyDion Boucicault, 'the most conspicuous English dramatist of the 19th century' (New York Times), was a witty, selfish and deceitful charmer, a bigamist, a profligate spendthrift and the author of dozens of successful plays, only a handful of which endure. Among these his early comedies influenced Oscar Wilde, and his Irish melodramas Shaw, Synge, and O'Casey.
- Author(s)Dion Boucicault
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/12/2010
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleModern Plays
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMethuen Drama
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight68 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.