All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book treats all of Brookner s twenty-two short vels as one molithic fiction. The autobiographical element in this controversial author s fiction is taken as a starting point to explore the complex interplay of art and life. Autobiography, as a form of emplotment of life, is the creative matrix governing the whole uvre, which is realistically rooted in time and space. The study draws on narrative theory, contemporary theories of fiction and recent feminist and ethical criticism. It shows how Brookner s work combines and opposes both realistic and modernist modes of writing and their philosophical underpinnings. The vels, too often misread as anti-feminist and resolutely pre-modern, appear to be more essentially postmodern than is usually ackwledged, through a heightened awareness of the role played by narrative in constructing our sense of reality and of self. The pervasive intertextuality, habitually igred or taken to be simply a form of intellectual sbbery, is the key to understanding how the vels tackle questions of moral life as encoded in narrative discourse and fine art. In addressing the question of how life should have been lived, Brookner s self-reflexive and ironical fiction subversively rewrites the traditional moral codes embodied in romance and which have determined the behaviour of women. Finally, this study examines the function of writing as a performative act and the role played by repetition.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Eileen Williams-Wanquet is Lecturer in English Literature at the University of La Reunion (France). She received her Ph.D. from the University of Montpellier III.
- Author(s)Eileen Williams-Wanquet
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/12/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight450 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.